Permit requirements for residents of Bungalow Heaven Landmark District

Before you:

  • install a new door or window
  • re-roof
  • build a fence
  • stucco over your siding
  • alter your porch
  • construct an addition
  • change any exterior feature (except painting)

You must get a building permit from the City of Pasadena’s Permit Center at 175 N. Garfield Ave.

Since your house is in a Landmark District, any work you do to the exterior may require a Certificate of Appropriateness from the City.  This certificate ensures that any changes to your house comply with the design standards for historic districts in Pasadena and the BH Conservation Plan.  Applications for Certificates of Appropriateness are available at the City’s Permit Center.

As the property owner, you are responsible for obtaining all required permits.  This includes work being handled by a contractor.  So, make sure your contractor has obtained all necessary permits before work begins.

Please contact the City regarding building permits at 626-744-4200 and Certificate of Appropriateness at 626-744-6646 or



  • Public Counter Hours
    Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
    Fridays 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

    Telephone Hours
    Fridays 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
    Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.